Monday, February 28, 2011

SLEEP

Last week i figured out that Jack was just getting up at night to be held and not necessarily to eat.  He consumes about 5 ounces at every feeding but at night he drinks MAYBE 1 ounce.  This was affirmed as i laid him back in his crib and he started screaming.  I rubbed his belly and he pushed his pacifier out smiling at me.  Little punk, he knows he has me wrapped around his little finger!

He then had immunizations last week and slept through the night, (i think from crying all day and not sleeping once).  So i then knew he did not need the food during the night which made me feel better taking a friends advice and letting him cry it out.

THEN CAME TIME... time to put my "talk" into practice.  I was going to let him cry.  His screams went on for what felt like two hours, my stomach started feeling queasy, i could so easily make him stop crying by just picking him up... but no that would not help either of us.  The cries started sounding like "mommy please" "pick me up" and "MOOOOOMMMMY"... I did not do too well, but after only 15 minutes he fell back asleep and woke up in the morning.

I am pretty sure that was harder on me than it was on him.  We will see how long this lasts, i hope he will just understand soon and not wake up.  I don't like to hear him cry!

2 comments:

  1. At the risk of sounding like a complete ass, I bet it wasn't harder on you than him...
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp

    Follow your momma instincts and pick that sweet boy up! You could try and get Nick to at least comfort him after 5 minutes of crying, we did that and J never expected milk from his dad so he went to sleep fine without the nursing part. As such small babies they need to at least know you are there to comfort them, he will eventually sleep on his own, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i did my research too and i think there are pro's and con's to any choice made with the care of a baby. This works for our family, and your way works for your family. We are all happy with the decision we made :)

    ReplyDelete